|Camera-happy Chester, daydreaming of dried catnip...|
Earlier this year I cured bunches of garlic by attaching them with clothespins to a length of twine strung between chairs in the basement. But I have an herbs-drying-in-the-basement paranoia that revolves around spiders, oregano and rosemary, and the possibility of eating a home-made spider leg pizza, so I needed a different drying method to put my mind at ease.
|Dill leaves/seeds, rosemary, oregano, thyme, mint|
I made two versions. On each, I first braided together 3 long branches for the frame, and connected the ends to form a hoop.
In the first design, I slightly bent 4 long branches for the interior, leaving loops outside the frame, and then crossing the ends before poking them through spaces at the opposite ends of the braided circle. Luckily, the lopsidedness that you will notice when it is empty is hidden when it's loaded up with herbs.
For the second design I used fishing line to connect the hoop, and instead of bending the branches, I simply cross-hatched lengths of branches throughout the hoop, all willy-nilly like.
|Herb-drying frame, version II|
So, mission accomplished. I could still harvest more oregano to fill all the gaps...but I've got other projects to get to!